This bright, colorful zucchini salad is not only good-looking—it’s good for you. Rich in antioxidants such as alpha- and betacarotene, lutein and zeaxanthin, green and yellow summer squash are a low-calorie boon to your system. If you eat the skin, you get a boost of dietary fiber in addition to a generous dose of potassium and vitamin C.
Summer Squash, Herb and Feta Salad
- ½ small red onion, sliced into very thin rounds
- 2 green zucchini, trimmed, sliced paper-thin lengthwise with a vegetable peeler or mandoline
- 2 yellow squash, trimmed, sliced paper thin lengthwise with a vegetable peeler or mandoline
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- About 12 basil leaves, minced
- About 12 leaves fresh mint, minced
- About 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Good-quality balsamic vinegar for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Place the onion slices in a bowl with ice water and let sit for about 10 minutes to take out some of the bite.
- In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, squash and onion slices; olive oil; lemon; salt and pepper and basil and mint so all the vegetables are coated and seasoned.
- Have ready four plates and place a quarter of the vegetables on each plate. Top with the crumbled feta and drops of good-quality balsamic vinegar, if using.